National park, alpine lakes and baroque capital in a short cycling tour
This "Lakes And Cities Tour" takes you on a bicycle from the Julian Alps to the Baroque capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana. You start cycling from the magical Lake Bled and continue on to the peaceful setting of Lake Bohinj, nestled among towering alpine mountain peaks. Then you'll ride on to the medieval city of Škofja Loka and the capital of Slovenia - Ljubljana. Suitable for cyclists with an average fitness level, and ideal for lovers of nature and culture with not much time to spare.
Considering a pre-trip? We recommend our Salzburg to Lake Bled!
Day 1: ARRIVAL IN BLED
You will begin in Bled, a lovely little town on the shore of a picturesque glacial lake. A beautiful island church sits peacefully in the middle of this large body of water with the Karavanke Alps providing the backdrop. The castle perched high on a cliff standing guard over the town completes the picture. After you check in to your hotel, take an evening hike up to Ojstrica viewpoint for a beautiful sunset view.
Day 2: BLED – BOHINJSKA BISTRICA (↔ 28 km; 43 km with a side trip, ↑ 110 m, ↓ 810 m)
Starting on the high plateau at Pokljuka, from here you will cycle down through alpine villages to Lake Bohinj, the jewel of the Triglav National Park. Bohinj is the largest and deepest lake in the national park, and is encircled by the majestic Julian Alps. Visit Savica Waterfall, source of the Sava Bohinjka River, and then take the cable car up to Vogel Mountain for a spectacular view into the Bohinj Valley and of Mount Triglav, the highest peak in the range.
Day 3: BOHINJSKA BISTRICA – ŠKOFJA LOKA (↔ 50 km, ↑ 980 m, ↓ 1.130 m)
Leaving Bohinj you cycle to the largest town in the valley: Bohinjska Bistrica. Then it’s up 750 m/2400 ft to the Jelovica high plateau (a “help out” lift to the top of the mountain pass is available for this part of the trip at an extra cost of 20 EUR per person). From the top the route takes you through a deep forest which soon drops off into a wilderness valley, leading to the lush green Škofja Loka hills. Stop in the historic iron-smelting town of Železniki before arriving in one of Slovenia's oldest and most charming towns, Škofja Loka.
Day 4: ŠKOFJA LOKA – LJUBLJANA (↔ 31 km, ↑ 170 m, ↓ 240 m)
Today you'll ride to the Slovene capital: Ljubljana. Here you can take a short ride up to the mighty Ljubljana Castle, perched on a hill overlooking the old town. From its tower you get a commanding view of Ljubljana’s heart and soul and, on a clear day, of the mountains from which you have just ridden. As the sun goes down you can choose between relaxing with a drink in the many outdoor bars/cafes beside the Ljubljanica River, or take a boat ride.
Day 5: DEPARTURE
After breakfast your tour ends or you can prolong your stay.
Price per person based on two people sharing:
Low season: March 25 to May 6 and September 16 to October 14, 2023: 525 EUR
High season: May 7 to September 15, 2023: 560 EUR
• accommodation in hotels 3*/4* in a two-bed room with WC and shower, on a bed & breakfast basis
• luggage transport between hotels, one piece per person, max 20 kg / 45 lb. Every additional piece 10 EUR, payable on the spot
• information pack including text route description and corresponding maps in electronic form
• personal welcome meeting, detailed briefing upon arrival and bike handover
• GPS data
• local tourist and other taxes
• backup service (hotline) during the trip
• single room 75 EUR
• single traveller 170 EUR
• upgrade to city historic center 4* hotel 85 EUR per person per night in a double room, 105 EUR in a single room
• bike rental 60 EUR classic touring / trekking bikes are equipped with 21 gears. One back, side pannier per bike. One cycling odometer, one lock, one spare inner tube, one set of Allen keys and a basic puncture repair kit per couple / pair of bikes. Every additional day: 18 EUR per bike. Additional odometer 20 EUR, payable on the spot. Bike rental period starts at 9:00 on day 2 and ends at 18:00 on day 4. Other bike types are available upon request
• electric bike 110 EUR
• “Help out lift” to top of the pass on day 3 30 EUR per person, payable on the spot
• helmet rental 6 EUR per tour
• printed information package in English including route notes and corresponding maps delivered upon arrival 30 EUR
• 4* Hotel in Bled 105 EUR per person per night in a standard double room B&B. Single room 170 EUR
• 4* Hotel in Bohinjska Bistrica 75 EUR per person per night in a standard double room, B&B. Single room 105 EUR
• 4* Hotel in Ljubljana (mid-ring) 75 EUR per person per night in a standard double room, B&B. Single room 130 EUR
• 4* Hotel in Ljubljana (historic center) 100 EUR per person per night in a standard double room, B&B. Single room 180 EUR
• children up to 12 years when sharing room with parents up to 40% discount on basic price
• third adult in the room 10% discount on basic price
Not included: entrance fees, lunches, drinks with meals, saunas and massages in hotels
Ljubljana Airport to Bled
1–3 persons: 75 EUR
4–8 persons: 105 EUR
Ljubljana City to Bled
1–3 persons: 100 EUR
4–8 persons: 140 EUR
Villach to Bled
1–3 persons: 140 EUR
4–8 persons: 160 EUR
Klagenfurt Airport to Bled
1–3 persons: 190 EUR
4–8 persons: 230 EUR
Other transfer routes prices on request
Total Length: 108 km
Total vertical up: 1.270 m
Terrain: all paved
A varied tour with some ascents and beautiful descents. The ascent on the third day takes place on a quiet mountain road without traffic
Helia supports responsible travel. On our trips we therefore use small, authentic hotels and guesthouses with character operated by locals or their families. Here you can find the list of standard accommodation we primarily use on the trip. The actual hotels may differ from this list, depending on time of booking and rooms availability.
Day 1 4* Hotel Triglav / Hotel Park Bled
Day 2 4* Bohinj Eco Hotel Bohinjska Bistrica
Day 3 3* Hotel Mini Škofja Loka
Day 4 4* Hotel M Ljubljana
Starting point of this trip is Bled in NW Slovenia.
By plane: closest airport is Ljubljana (LJU). Several airlines serve it. From the airport, you can travel to Bled by bus (change once, takes about two hours) or book our transfer: Ljubljana Airport to Bled (faster - 20 min).
By train: Bled has two railway stations: Lesce-Bled station on the Villach - Ljubljana mainline, 4 km away from town center, you'll need to take a bus to Bled center. The other station is Bled-Jezero on the Jesenice - Nova Gorica sideline only a few trains a day. 2 km away from town centre, call us and we'll give you a lift.
By car: take exit Lesce on the A1 motorway Ljubljana - Jesenice, Karavanke. Please consult us about parking options.
.... and away
Simply use one of the above options.
Helia bikes are available in different sizes in unisex model:
- aluminium frame
- rear rack
- comfort gel saddle
- anti-puncture Continental tyres
- ergonomic bicycle grips
All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
- cycle computer
- Vaude one-sided saddlebag
- combination bike lock
Only for self-guided tours: one repair kit per two bikes: one spare inner tube, glue, patch, a pump, two allen keys and tire levers
Important notes if you want to cycle independently - in order to cycle smoothly following an app, we suggest that you bring with you a holder for your mobile phone to be fixed on the handlebar, as well as a power bank (even if the app can be used offline, too).